I decided that there must be a way to make your own at home. After a quick search on the internet I came across dozens of recipes. I was weary of trying out some recipes that call for mixing vinegar, lemon, and bleach - can you say toxic fumes?
Cut trees need a couple of basics:
- A food source
- An acidifier - reduces the pH of the water
- A disinfectant - prevents the growth of algae and bacteria
So after reading a couple of different recipes I decided on my own mix:
- 1 quart (4 cups) warm water
- 1/2 - 1 cup light corn syrup - acts as food
- 1 tsp bleach - acts as disinfectant
- 1 penny - acts as acidifier
Use this recipe to refill your tree as needed. It helps to water the tree with warm water/preservative.