Success... so far

Saturday, July 19, 2014
Last night I only got as far as washing and ironing about 9 yards of canvas. I figured that was enough to at least get the main part of the slip cover done. I got up this morning and got right to work. It took most of the morning to get to this point of pin fitted and excess fabric trimmed:

It was actually kind of fun and not too difficult to get to this point. I did make one mistake, I must have been distracted by the kids because I trimmed the front way too high. It's OK though because I'll just make it more of a waterfall skirt. I had intended to only raise the skirt about 3" ... whoops!

After a couple more hours of setting up my sewing machine, trying to keep the almost 3 year old from touching anything and general distractions, I was able to get it sewn together. By golly it actually fit quite nicely:
 I am pleased as punch with the results. I did end up with 2 little tucks on one arm but it's not something I feel I need to re-do. Tomorrow after church I will tackle the skirt. Once that is done I will serge all the seams and then I plan on top-stitching for that nice crisp look. I probably won't be able to tackle any of the 8 cushions until next weekend.

~ Norma

1 comment :

Dora, the Quilter said...

Great accomplishment.
A tuxedo style sofa makes doing a slip cover so much easier.

The first sofa I ever bought was tuxedo style, and over the decades I've made several slip covers for it. I hope the current ones never wear out!

I've slipcovered all the upholstered furniture in the house, and the tuxedo style was the easiest.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design